Welcome to KnowledgeSutra - Dear Guest , Please Register here to get Your own website. - Ask a Question / Express Opinion / Reply w/o Sign-Up!
Photo
- - - - -

Flashspring Pro - Review CPS Labs

2 replies to this topic

#1 BuffaloHelp

BuffaloHelp

Sterling Archer

• Kontributors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts
  • myCENT:50.18

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:49 AM

I was quick to download CPS Labs FlashSpring Pro because I saw the price tag--$149!!

To install a full version that retails $149 for free was a chance I could not pass. So I downloaded. A mere 3.27MB file?? And CPS Labs charges $149?

After the installation and running the Activation program, I soon began to watch the built-in demo of how this program works. Yikes!! I had to make a PowerPoint presentation to test this converter out.

This is where the first "disadvantage" came about. The industries know that PowerPoint is almost becoming obsolete. When was the last time you saw a PowerPoint presentation and really got you excited? And since public speaking is not a born trait for most of us, many PowerPoint presenters sturggle and fumble while giving PowerPoint presentation. I suppose instead of clicking buttons to go from a page to a page, watching "animated" slide show would be some kind of excitment.

This software puts an emphasis on cross platform compatibility--any machine with any operating system can view the presentation since Flash is universal. Flash also can be smaller file size compare to PowerPoint file. This makes it easier to send the file as an email attachment or put it on a floppy. But if this is the only edge that this company is promoting I think CPS Labs would be disappointed.

No matter who you are, if you are giving a PowerPoint presentation these days you have to have your own laptop. And if you have your own laptop and created your own PowerPoint, chances are you can run your own file very easily--well, unless your laptop crashes. So the issue of cross platform compatibility should not be the major focus. After all, what good is Flash if the content itself is "boring"?

I would recommend CPS Labs to develop a Flash editor that is easy as a pie to all users. Not a converter from another software but a brand new program that can make Flash presentation like a child's toy. Because in order to convert PowerPoint file, you first HAVE to make a PowerPoint file and still not many can make a great presentation using PowerPoint.

But I will give two thumbs up for how easy this software converts from PowerPoint to Flash with integrated menu bar. Basic 3 simple clicks and my PowerPoint was transformed to Flash. :)

My ratings are as follows:
Ease-of-use: 4.5/5
Innovation: 4/5
Practicality: 2/5

#2 electriic ink

electriic ink

Trap Grand Marshal Member

• [MODERATOR]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Interests:Promotion: Aug 4 2005 8.24pm BST
  • myCENT:74.43

Posted 08 December 2006 - 07:42 PM

75 is a lot of money for something that does something quite simple. If compatibility is your problem then OpenOffice does the same thing. If you do File --> Export and then choose Macromedia Flash (*.swf), then you've saved yourself a lot of money. OpenOffice is free but has a very large file size (80MB+)

Download: http://openoffice.org
Sample Export:

Both Microsoft PowerPoint (I believe) and OpenOffice Impress can export files as PDFs and most computer systems have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed today (my computer came with either version 4.0 or 5.0, can't remember).

Another alternative would be to install Microsoft PowerPoint Viewer on the system; it takes up about 4MBs when installed and I used it before I got OpenOffice (when I used Microsoft Works [biggest oxymoron ever]). I would use it as a last resort though. It's got a layout like Windows' forefathers and it's not very nice installing programs on other people's computers:

Posted Image

There are many free alternatives to this software and I would try them before you pay for it (obviously I'm talking about after the offer has expired). Most of you probably have an alternative installed on your computer anyway, whether or not you download it now or pay for it later. After all, what do you expect from a free give-away?

EDIT: Just found out that yesterday, I missed a ten quid Christmas screensaver give-away, which would have been far more useful than this :) Monetary value ≠ Usefulness.

#3 sergeysid

sergeysid

• Kontributors
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 01:23 PM

Hello,

My name is Sergey, from CPS Labs team. I was glad to see that you got some interest in our software, though sadly you didn't find it useful. Anything can happen i think, any product is for its own niche.

Actually, i am here to say you Thank you, at least for starting a discussion. In this way we'd see what people need.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users